Wednesday 21 August 2013

Manor Lodge turret house.

Sheffield Manor Lodge turret house gate house
Photo © Copyright Dave Pickersgill
and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Sheffield Manor Lodge turret house; the only fully standing part of the old Manor Lodge where Mary Queen of Scots was held prisoner during her "difficulties" with Elizabeth 1st. Apparently, in 1839, in order to preserve them, some parts of the complex were dismantled then re-erected at the rather wonderfully loopy Queen's Tower near Norfolk Park.

Despite it being not a million miles away from where I grew up, I've somehow never ever seen Manor Lodge with my own naked eyes. What a well-travelled person I am.

I once saw a David Starkey documentary about the life of Mary Queen of Scots. At no point did he mention Sheffield.

I always knew he was a wrong 'un.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...